Iowa to China to Boston




Seahorse by Adrian Johnston


University of Iowa graduate Adrian Johnston is a former gymnast, teacher of English, and university professor. He has moved to the Boston area after living in China for 7 years. This is the second time for one of his pieces to grace the walls of North River Gallery, and in 2013 we will feature a solo show of his work.  Some of his pieces are small meditations, and others are large epics like Seahorse. The bottom strikes us first because of the contrasting lines which form a foundation for the activity above. The fabric structure ripples and luffs as in a wind, and begins to melt and shift as the action rises in a crescendo of countless gathering fish, shimmering color and glorious light. It is dream and essay woven together and it ceaselessly intrigues. Adrian shared only this:


The Lord is my portion;




I promise to keep your words.






I entreat your favor with all my heart;






Be gracious to me according to your promise.






When I think on my ways,






I turn my feet to your testimonies;






I hasten and do not delay






To keep your commandments.






Though the cords of the wicked ensnare me,






I do not forget your law.






 At midnight I rise to praise you,






 Because of your righteous rules


 I am a companion of all who fear you


 Of those who keep your precepts.






 The earth, O LORD, is full of your steadfast love:





Teach
me your statutes!   Psalm 119:57-64