Are you White or Black?




Imagining Home by Jacob Giberson

The Boston Artists LinkedIn Show is displaying two large paintings by Jacob Giberson. He is a young artist with a bit of brash. I can just see him standing his ground as he freely marks his canvas with a wide brush, creating bumping shapes, and slashes of color. Here's what he has to say about his explorations:


Society
likes to categorize people based on race. Either you are white, or you are
black, but you can’t be both. This is quite frustrating for everyone who is of
mixed race. I have, and continue to experience the best and the worst of both
worlds. I have had white people tell me I am not white, and black people have
told me I am not black. People have been racist towards me from both sides of the
equation, and people assume I would not be offended by their racism towards
others. Since I was little I wanted to be part of a community of people who
looked like me. Behind the label I am a human being just like you. Identity is
the driving question behind my work. We all share similar collective struggles
based on identity. My struggle is our struggle.

October 21, 2012, from 1:30-3:30 you can come and meet this artist, as well as the others in the show. Stop by and enjoy it between 8:30am-1:30pm Mon-Fri. or call ahead to visit outside those hours. 334 Old Oak Street, Pembroke MA 781.826.0722