Fighting Evil With Magic Words




Rev. Dr. Cheryl A. Kirk-Duggan at Boston College

Tuesday, March 20 Dr. Kirk-Duggan gave an overview of African American Spirituals at Boston College to an enthusiastic, mixed race, gender and age audience. I've been to other lectures that feature an African American theme only to find I'm the only white face in the crowd, shamefully!  The Reverend Dr. is  professor of theology and women's studies at Shaw University Divinity School, Raleigh, NC and educated us by singing and also engaging all of us in collective singing of "Balm of Gilead" amongst other spirituals. Did you know that Spirituals have no composers because they were birthed by the community? Art created by community is one of my personal passions, so of course I was intrigued to learn that.



The larger reason I wanted to hear the lecture was because I learned from my American Studies class that singing in the church for hours prior to a non-violent protest in the Civil Rights era was an integral part of building up the courage to face death in the fight against evil.  How would you feel about facing lynching, drive-by shootings, firebombing, and unmentionable torture against injustice? And not punch back?  It's a gift of our country's history about which we can all rejoice. Fighting evil at the risk of dying; do you have that kind of character?



The one who wants to follow Jesus will learn that there is power in the Word of God, and therefore, singing Biblical messages whether direct quotes, stories, or themes raises up supernatural power! I'm including a few quotes for you and at the bottom are two videos from the 1960's. Onward soldier in your march against the devil's lies!


“For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.” (Hebrews 4:12)




“So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth; it shall not return to Me void, but it shall accomplish what I please, and it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it.” (Isaiah 55:11)


“Is not My word like a fire?” says the Lord, “And like a hammer that breaks the rock in pieces?” (Jeremiah 23:29)


“It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life” (John 6:63)


“This is my comfort in my affliction, for Your word has given me life.” (Psalm 119:50)


“Your words were found, and I ate them, and Your word was to me the joy and rejoicing of my heart …” (Jeremiah 15:16)

“How sweet are Your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!” (Psalm 119:103)


But He answered and said, “It is written, ‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.’ ” (Matthew 4:4)


“… as newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the word, that you may grow thereby, if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is gracious.” (1 Peter 2:2)








 This Little Light of Mine, We Shall Overcome













My Lord Won't Deny Me